пятница, 19 мая 2017 г.

Tour the Brooklyn Pad of Coil + Drift’s John Sorensen-Jolink

Tour the Brooklyn Pad of Coil + Drift’s John Sorensen-Jolink
John Sorensen-Jolink in his Brooklyn living room with a Hover shelving unit custom made by his company Coil + Drift and a Vase pillow by Amelie Mancini.

Coil + Drift founder John Sorensen-Jolink became a furniture designer after more than a decade of professional dancing. The modern choreography of his past is reflected in the name of his studio, as well as in the grace of his minimalist style. Coil + Drift launched in 2014 and last year earned the prestigious ICFF Editors’ Award for Best First Time Exhibitor.


Below, Sorensen-Jolink gives us a tour of his home in the historic Brooklyn neighborhood of Fort Greene.


In this corner of the living room are an architect’s stool manufactured by the Toledo Metal Furniture Company, ca. 1940, an original Coil + Drift cherrywood Rex sideboard prototype, George Nelson Bubble light and a painting by Francesca Brenda-Mitterrand.

“There are a lot of street finds here. One of the things about my apartment and the way I’ve created my home is that for many years I was a dancer and didn’t have enough money to purchase new furniture or purchase beautiful vintage furniture. I had to be creative, so a lot of what I did was find pieces. The George Nelson lamp was a street find.”


Sorensen-Jolink has acquired indigenous figurines and masks from his travels to Ethiopia, Burma, Rwanda, Thailand and Indonesia.


“What excites me about furniture, and why I originally got into design and decided to focus on furniture, is that it’s so different from the dance world, which is super ethereal and everything is gone after the show. I wanted to create something that just stayed. It really excited me that our lives are finite but there’s a possibility that an object I created could continue to amass more and more stories around it.”


The natural wood of a Coil + Drift Soren chair blends with the indoor vegetation.


“My apartment is mainly furnished by either prototypes of something I’m designing that I want to try living with for a while or pieces from designers that I respect — vintage and new.”


“Because I don’t have a showroom, the way for me to experience Coil + Drift pieces on a daily basis is to bring them into my home. I do that as much as I can, and it also helps me work with clients. When they ask, ‘How would I live with this?’ I can say, ‘This is how I live with it.’”


The mid-century media console was found on the street in New York’s Chelsea neighborhood.


“Right now, anything I bring into the apartment would require getting rid of something else, because it almost feels too full to me right now. However, there was a time I lived without a couch for four months, because I couldn’t find one that I loved that I could also afford. This couch eventually came from a neighbor via a film set.”


In the bedroom are another Hover shelving unit and Soren chair, along with Muji linens on the bed and a vintage reading lamp from the Brooklyn Flea.


“I probably have more stories about specific furniture as it relates to me or where it came from than knowing exactly who designed it, but I’d like to fill in the gaps and to learn more and more about design. I’m constantly looking for new books on the history of furniture design and speaking to people who are excited about it.”


The kitchen has a mid-century modern dining table and Eames Shell chairs.


Original article and pictures take www.1stdibs.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий