пятница, 26 марта 2010 г.

A Thoughtfully Styled 500-Square-Foot Montreal Studio

A Thoughtfully Styled 500-Square-Foot Montreal Studio


Name: Lauren

Location: Montreal — Quebec, Canada

The basics: 1.5 years, rented | 500 square feet


Lauren struck rental market gold with her Montreal studio. With the high ceilings, moldings and that window the space is full of glamorous antique charm. With a clever layout and personal touches, Lauren has played up all of the best aspects of the space, creating a sun-drenched dream that looks for bigger than its 500 feet.


Tell us a little (or a lot) about your home and the people who live there: I moved to the beautiful city of Montreal last year and was lucky enough to find this tiny vacated studio space. Where most probably saw a small, empty room with no closets, I saw stunning windows, high ceilings, old wooden floors and amazing moldings. I couldn't resist the charm and knew it was for me. I believe your surroundings can really influence your state of mind so I thought less about practicality and more about how I felt in the space. I decided to embrace the challenge of living minimally in a tiny apartment. I found a balance between choosing smart pieces that can provide more than one use, but also decluttering my life keeping only the possessions I need and then adding a few key pieces of furniture I love. There is something therapeutic about letting go of "stuff" that isn't adding value to your life and only being left with the things you truly love. This has let my home become an extension of who I am.


What is your favorite room and why? Because I live in a studio, I tried to create distinct areas that would act as separate rooms. In a long rectangular room I cut the space horizontally to make a bedroom area, living area, and a work space. My favorite space would be my bedroom area. I used one of my large windows as a bed frame, and while in my bed I face my other large window at the front of my apartment where the morning sun floods in. It is certainly the best view. Being surrounded by natural light feels so comforting and lets a very small space feel open and spacious.


What's the last thing you bought (or found!) for your home? My most recent home purchase was an olive tree that I have completely fallen in love with. In such a small space large plants are like beautiful pieces of furniture. But aside from their visual beauty, plants offer a natural energy to your space which you can connect with which I think is so important in your home.


Which fictional character would be most at home in your place? I would like to think that Carrie Bradshaw would walk into my space and feel inspired. As an independent woman myself, I use my space as a reflection of who I am, showing my unique self. Where she used fashion to showcase her self confident, carefree ways, I channel this through my home. I would like to think that my space carries a romantic charm that would suit her style.


Lauren's words of wisdom: Find a style that inspires you and make it your own. I love to feel inspired by what I see, but I also don't want to lose sight of my unique self, so I try to trust my instincts on what I like. Identifying with a design style helps to create a backdrop that will carry a cohesive flow throughout your space, so I use main pieces like sofas and large furniture for the foundation of that style, but then use elements like lighting, art and decor to add contrast and my unique style. This means paying attention to my instincts on things I really love and caring less about rules. It can be easy to doubt choices if you don't see it out there in the trending world, but I have found that trusting my choices often results in a positive response to my home which helps to inspire others. Make your home a reflection of you!


• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour & House Call Submission Form.


Original article and pictures take www.apartmenttherapy.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий